Thursday, March 17, 2011

Cover Me

Just a quick post tonight to share an album cover that I recently created. A friend of mine is getting married and last weekend was her bridal shower. I knew that I wanted to make something for her gift. After hemming and hawing about what I was going to do, I finally decided to make her a memory book of the actual bridal shower.

I have had a Prima Canvas album in my stash for almost a year. It is a super cool album - both the cover and 5 insert pages are made of thick canvas fabric. It also comes with 5 plastic page protectors. The canvas comes undecorated- so I'll admit that I was a little bit intimidated to work on such blank space. Here's a photo of the album without any alteration.

click on any image to see larger

See what I mean? Intimidating...

To begin the album, I used her wedding colors of pink and green  to build a background. Then I added layers of paint, dictionary page, paper flowers, chipboard butterflies, metal flower brads, stickers and fabric brads to further customize. I made similar collages on the inside canvas pages, building around a central focal photograph from the couple's engagement photos. I used the page protectors to hold basic 8x8 background cardstock, again using the wedding colors. I printed out decorative journaling cards personalized with the bride's name. As each guest arrived at the shower, she was given a card and asked to write down her best marital advice for the couple. I used my Fuji Instax instant camera to snap a photo. While the other guests played typical shower games, I adhered each advice cards next to a photo of the author on the cardstock. I was able to perfectly fit 2 cards/photos per page. At the conclusion of the shower, the bride was took home a fully completed memory book.

It was a huge hit

I wish you could see it. I really do. However, I stupidly accidentally forgot to take any photos of the interior pages. But I did a couple of shots of the cover. This is how the finished album appeared:


Here's a close-up of the collage:


Lastly, here's what the journaling cards looked like:




 I really love making personalized gifts like this. What are some of your favorite crafty projects?

No comments:

Post a Comment